We are Skate Canada Northern Ontario, a non-profit, volunteer driven organization that promotes and governs the sport of figure skating in Northern Ontario.
Skate Canada Northern Ontario is dedicated to providing quality skating programs for all skaters in an atmosphere that encourages enjoyment, personal development and achievement.
This is accomplished through the implementation of programs and events in all communities within the Section.
What We Do
Skate Canada Northern Ontario is run by a volunteer Board of Directors. The board provides strategic direction, sets policies, and implements initiatives which allow us to achieve our mission. The board and its initiatives are supported by the Section Office.
Examples of Section-led initiatives and services:
- Delivery of coach training, including NCCP courses
- Delivery of officials’ training
- Skaters’ development, including the Athlete Development Camp
- Qualifying competitions – Sectionals, Festival of Stars
- Team support at provincial and national level events
- Hosting of provincial level competitions every four years (Ontario Regional Synchro and Trillium)
- Promotion of our skaters and our sport through various traditional and social media initiatives
- Approval of competition, carnival and exhibition sanctions
- Administration of the Ontario Skaters’ Promotional Contest
- Judges Bureau
- Club support
- And more
Skate Canada Northern Ontario has six regions: Sunset Country, Thunder Country, Algoma, Rainbow Country, James Bay, and Near North. Regional opportunities such as interclub competitions, skaters’ development seminars, or volunteer training are some examples of initiatives regions may deliver.
Within each region there are local Skating Clubs which deliver Skate Canada programs to their respective communities. When you join Skate Canada and sign up for a program to learn to skate, you do so directly with your local club. There 60 clubs throughout Northern Ontario.
How We Fit into the Bigger Picture
Skate Canada, the National governing body for figure skating in Canada, is divided into 13 Sections roughly equivalent to the Canadian provinces. Ontario is broken down into four Sections because of its size (Northern, Central, Eastern and Western). One representative from the four Ontario Section Chairs sits on the Skate Canada Board of Directors.
Skate Ontario was formed to allow the four Sections in Ontario to collaborate on province-wide initiatives. The Skate Canada Northern Ontario Section Chair is our voice on the Skate Ontario Board of Directors.